Pages

Monday 3 September 2012

Classic Whoopie Pie

Do you remember the last time I made a red velvet cake? There were few times, red velvet whoopie pie recipe came up on the first of the search result page when I googled for the red velvet cake recipes. Then I wondered, what is a whoopie pie? It looks like a macaron or a yo-yo, but edible kind of yo-yo.



Wikipedia describes Whoopie Pie as two round mound-shaped pieces of cake with a sweet, creamy filling or frosting sandwiched between them. Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire claim to be the birth place of the Whoopie Pie.

According to food historians, Amish women would bake these and put them in farmers' lunch boxes. When farmers would find the treats in their lunch, they would shout "Whoopie!" (hence the name). It is also thought that the original Whoopie Pies may have been made from cake batter leftovers.

Whoopie Pie is alternatively called a black moon, gob, black-and-white, bob or Big Fat Oreo ("BFO"). I think I prefer black moon, it sounds cool doesn't it?


Since this was my first time making the Black Moons, I chose the classic Whoopie Pie with marshmallow fluff filling. We don't have marshmallow fluff in the place that I live in at the moment, but I am lucky because I  just bought Marshmallow Fluff when I travelled to Sydney last month. I thought it will comes in handy. And it's true! :D


I was a bit hesitant to be honest, because I have never seen it with my own eyes before. Never tasted it before. So I didn't know what to expect out of these cakes. But I put aside my worries and did my best to follow the recipe to the T.



And Voila!

I think I did ok. The Black Moons were dense, moist and delicious! I am definitely going to make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment